Newborns Are Delightful—and Tiring.
- Newborns may sleep only a few hours at a time.
- A newborn’s ability to hear, see, smell, and feel grows every day.
- Parents can help crying babies calm down by making them feel warm, close, and comfortable—just like it was in the womb.
- Since all parents can get upset from crying babies, it’s important to know when and how to ask for help.
- Friends and family can share the delight and the work of caring for newborns.
Your baby is finally here. Congratulations!
Baby’s Sleep and Mother’s Rest
Newborns usually sleep 16 to 17 hours a day, but they may sleep for only a couple of hours at a time.
- Many babies wake up every 2 to 4 hours, day or night.
- New mothers need plenty of rest after childbirth to get their strength and energy back.
- Mother and baby can take a nap at the same time.
- As the new father supports mom during her recovery, he can enjoy getting to know this new addition to the family!
Information For Dads
It’s A New Life For You
Your role as a father will bring about some big changes in your life. The physical, emotional, and financial demands of being a dad can cause stress. You also may feel a little left out during the first few weeks, since much of the attention is on your new baby and the mom. By becoming actively involved with your new baby, feelings of stress and being left out will decrease. You will begin to:
- Enjoy the pleasure of being a dad.
- Strengthen your relationship with your baby’s mother.
- Contribute to the well-being of your baby.
Read full article on healthychildren.org